“Located along the south end of the Detroit River, Humbug Island consists of 410 acres of land in the downriver communities of Trenton and Gibraltar. In addition to the island, the area includes Humbug Marsh, the adjacent uplands and the waters in between.”
“Some times people forget about the Downriver communities,” Tidwell said. “We are very, very happy anytime you say you’re giving $2 million to this area. It’s a great day. This is a beautiful thing for Downriver.”
“The project will stretch from Flat Rock to Detroit along the Iron Belle Trail and west through Hines Park to Northville, officials said.”
Out of the 11 “distressed” cities receiving the $2.7M, Ecorse, Melvindale, Lincoln Park and River Rouge were among the towns.
- Ecorse, $200,000: Repair of the municipal building’s HVAC system
- Hamtramck, $293,909: Replace the police department’s radio system
- Harper Woods, $200,000: Replace water meters
- Highland Park, $176,030: Install surveillance cameras and replace a police vehicle
- Inkster, $502,975: Improve street lighting, replace some police vehicles, replace an ambulance
- Lincoln Park, $342,500: Design phase for a new facility housing the police department and the 25th District Court
- Melvindale, $49,733: Replacement of police equipment, including tasers, in-car cameras and body cameras
- Pontiac, $363,020: Repair sidewalks, install ADA-compliant sidewalk ramps, improve street lighting
- River Rouge, $368,581: Replace police vehicles and equipment for firefighters
- Wayne, $100,000: Infrastructure repairs at the police department
- Mayville, $125,000: Replacement of water meters
Beaumont Hospital in Taylor and Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital will forfeit 1% of Medicare payments for admitted patients in the next fiscal year because of excessive infection rates.
“Ford’s $900 million in investments, most of which is in the Flat Rock facility, sets up the downriver Detroit facility to be the center of electric vehicles for years to come,” said UAW Vice President Rory Gamble in a statement. “As we transition to new technology and future products, Flat Rock through this investment, is well positioned to be a world leader for decades to come in auto industry technology and production.”
“Despite all the accusations against him, Nienstedt has steadfastly maintained his innocence. Fr. Tom Gumbleton, the longtime social justice activist who was forced to resign as bishop after revealing he’d been molested as a seminarian at Sacred Heart in the 1940s, told me a few months ago that he’s seen Nienstedt at a Downriver bar shaking hands with other priests as if nothing were amiss.”
A Melvindale couple who was married for 56 years (Will and Judy Webb) died just hours apart, holding hands.
Click on www.Huron.news for more information.